Dr Neil Stanley, an independent sleep researcher and author of the book How To Sleep Well, suggests anxiety, burning the candle at both ends and technology use are likely to be the biggest sleep disruptors at this age. “So ditch the sleep tracker app, limit social media late at night and buy an old-fashioned alarm clock – ideally, leave your phone out of the bedroom altogether,” he says. At the very least, keep the screen face down – a Stanford University study from 2011 found even the short bursts of light from a message or notification can still be enough to disturb your bodyclock. “People under 27 are more likely to be night owls, which can be a problem when they enter the workplace,” adds James Wilson, a sleep behaviour expert who has worked with the Royal Society for Public Health. “Simply going to bed earlier won’t help – don’t force yourself to be in bed by 10 or 11. Instead, focus on quality over quantity and on establishing a wind-down routine at least an hour before you would ideally want to fall asleep. “If you’re watching TV before bed, make it funny or trashy, rather than something with a… Read full this story
- Wondering what is the secret to having a healthy lifestyle? A good night’s sleep is the answer
- The 8 things to banish from your bedroom for a good night’s sleep – from heating to clocks
- Scientists Say a Good Night’s Sleep Helps Your Brain Reset. I Tested That Theory Using Purple's Harmony Pillow
- Good Night's Sleep Key to Strong Memories
- After a Good Night's Sleep Brain Cells Are Ready to Learn
- Hit the Sack! People Who Get a Good Night's Sleep Are Happier
- BAFTAs 2019: Salma Hayek gets a helping hand back to her car after a night of partying
- Can lack of sleep have a negative impact on exam results?
- Sleeping with lights on and weight gain in women linked in new study
- You really CAN follow your nose: People with a good sense of smell are better at navigation because the two skills use the same parts of the brain
How to get a good night's sleep have 356 words, post on www.independent.ie at July 15, 2019. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.