AbstractOne of the problems of being a student of psychology is they learn everything in modules and pass examinations in separate areas of the subject. These can lead to disjointed understanding – a failure to connect the dots. This paper is an attempt to marry the insights of Social Psychology and Counselling practice. Can counsellors learn some wider insights from social research? I will explore an example of classical research and try to see how it can benefit the counsellor in practice.IntroductionMost psychology students even after graduation cannot always see the connection between one area of psychological knowledge and another – even well known psychologists manage to come up with “new” ideas which clearly are not – but where their subconscious has dragged two facts together to make a correlation that show a new idea – not that one may cause the other. For example Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is used by many counsellors, psychiatrists and medical counsellors yet few understand that its principals lie squarely with Freudian thinking.Counsellors are not always educated in psychology and many learn their knowledge in short courses designed by colleges and universities to one standard or another. What ever way you look at it their… Read full this story
- I’m autistic. Trust me, being introverted isn’t a shield against the loneliness of social distancing
- CCW Weekend: What Bernie Sanders Has Wrong
- As students return to classrooms, so does bullying. These activists want to stop it.
- News from the world of education - September 10, 2021
- Fighting Gay Rights and Abortion With the First Amendment
- The Doctors Who Refuse to Treat LGBT Patients
- MDIS partners with University of Roehampton London
- Stuck in the middle: Youth mental health needs caught between child and adult services
- As U.S. struggles with broadband expansion, Comcast accelerates internet adoption
- The Radical Humaneness of Norway’s Halden Prison
Applied Social Psychology & Counselling have 298 words, post on ezinearticles.com at August 21, 2007. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.