In early March of this year Fireproof released the happy news that we’ve collectively sold 5.5 million copies of our mobile games The Room and The Room 2 since release.At Fireproof we’d always heard a mobile game had to be a casual, free to download, games-as-a-service title you can play for infinity. This was a problem, as our game was short, dark and grim, had no social or online aspect and contained no in-app purchases or adverts.We also lacked any money to pay for professional Marketing or PR so upon its release you could politely term our expectations as realistic. But backed by a feature on Apple’s AppStore our wee game with a £70k budget went on to see success we never could have expected.Commenting on our surprising figures, I tweeted that maybe mobile gaming’s war of total monetisation on free-to-play gamers has made the dev community over reliant on “databollocks” while losing sight of how a good game can affect its players. What’s wrong with a developer shooting for entertainment instead of monetisation?The biggest difference between our success and other mobile devs was that we chose to sell each title for a straight fee, i.e. paid i.e. premium i.e…. Read full this story
- Half Northern Ireland drivers use mobile phones behind wheel: survey
- Pupils face losing mobiles for a week
- 'He was as mad then as I thought he was playing against him'
- FREE days out in Hull and things to do this Easter holidays
- Meet the real-life superhero helping sick kids in Spain
- The madness of Les Bleus: Eight Irishmen on what it's like to play in France
- Cambridgeshire police ask for public help to tackle child exploitation
- Euthanasia debate reignites in Spain after man arrested for helping his wife die
- Walsh makes mark to help Kingdom maintain momentum
- List of Northampton charities and a guide of how exactly you can help to make a difference
Mobile is burning, and free-to-play binds the hands of devs who want to help have 319 words, post on www.polygon.com at May 9, 2014. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.