One Pennsylvania teen, who is originally from Guinea, recently had to endure his high school rival’s soccer team chanting “Ebola” at him during a match, WPVI reports.
According to the station, Ibrahim Toumkara, a Nazareth Area High School student and soccer player, got into a fight last week after he heard players from rival Northampton High School taunting him about the deadly virus, which has killed more than 4,000 people across West Africa, including in his home country.
“Being from western Africa and having family in that area, he didn’t take too kindly to those remarks and went after one of the players on the Northampton team,” the boy’s coach, Edward Bachert, explained. Bachert is also Ibrahim’s legal guardian, as well as a police chief for Lehigh County.
The 16-year-old moved away from Guinea three years ago, the station notes.
“There were tears coming down his eyes. He was visibly shaken by this, that it got to that level on the field,” Bachert added.
Ibrahim’s parents are still in West Africa, and according to WPVI, he is constantly worrying for them.
After the tasteless incident, both Northampton’s head soccer coach and its assistant coach resigned. Some of the student athletes are also expected to face disciplinary action, according to the station.
“This is part of the educational process to make sure that students are understanding sportsmanship and what’s happening out there in the world,” Northampton Area Superintendent Joseph Kovalchik said.
Read more at WPVI.
- Shooting That Injured 2 Teens Outside High School Football Game In North Philadelphia Not Related To Game, School Officials Say
- 2 Teenagers Injured In Double Shooting At High School Football Game In Nicetown-Tioga, Police Say
- Allstate announces first round of high school soccer players named as elite Allstate All-Americans
- Interboro Postpones High School Football Game With Chichester Over Weapons Threat, Officials Say
- Pregame Spotlight: 10 High School Baseball Games To Follow This Week
- Pregame Spotlight: 8 High School Baseball Games To Track This Week
- MaxPreps Top 10 Texas High School Football Games of the Week
- Early Contenders: Top 10 high school football games of the 2018 season
- Colquitt County at No. 12 Lowndes headlines MaxPreps Top 10 high school football Games of the Week
- No. 21 Gonzaga at No. 25 St. John's headlines MaxPreps Top 10 high school football Games of the Week