Refugee arrivals to the Bay Area and communities across the nation are plunging under the Trump administration, even as courts block the president’s effort to halt refugee resettlement, researchers said Thursday. Nationwide, 3,316 refugees were admitted in April, down two-thirds from October, when 9,945 people were admitted, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of government data. Only four states saw an uptick in resettlements. In California, 338 refugees arrived in April, down 58 percent from October’s total of 814. The dip — which has alarmed advocates for refugees and prompted questions from some lawmakers — has been particularly striking in Alameda County, data show. One of a handful of places in California that hosts a significant number of refugees, Alameda County typically welcomes people from Iran, Iraq, Eritrea and other countries plagued by war or human rights abuses. But while 70 refugees arrived between October and January, only nine came in February and March, according to the state Department of Social Services. “It’s a shame, because people who are eligible for refugee status are the most highly vetted (for security threats) to come into the U.S. compared to other ways of entry,” said Amy Weiss, director of refugee and… Read full this story
- Obama Administration Nearly Doubles Number of Refugee Arrivals So Far in FY 2017
- Wet, Chilly Storm Front Ready To Roll Into San Francisco Bay Area
- SF Bay Area residents rally against rising hate attacks on Asian Americans
- San Francisco Bay Area rocked by 3.7 magnitude earthquake that ‘jolted houses’
- Year Of The Ox: Bay Area Crowds Gather To Celebrate Lunar New Year Despite COVID-19 Pandemic
- Capitol Siege: Bay Area Rep. Zoe Lofgren Releases Massive Social Media Report On GOP Colleagues Who Voted To Overturn Election
- Americans Bridge the Divide to Support Refugees | Opinion
- Trump's Immigration Ban is a 'Simple Insult to a Complex Problem'
- Senator Rick Scott Urges President Trump Not To Skip President-Elect Joe Biden’s Inauguration
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation Adds 14M Oysters To Maryland Waters In 2020, Around Half Of Normal Amount
Refugee arrivals to Bay Area, US are plunging under Trump have 324 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at May 26, 2017. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.