The UK’s ambitious target of slashing carbon emissions by more than half within 13 years is at risk because of government dithering on energy policy, industry professionals have warned. A survey by the Energy Institute, the professional body for the energy sector, has found that four fifths of its members believe the UK is currently on track to miss the 2030 goal. “The mood among our members is that energy policy is on pause and ministers need to hit the play button,” said Louise Kingham, chief executive of the Energy Institute. Among the list of stalled government decisions are the fate of a multimillion-pound competition to build mini nuclear power plants and whether to strike a subsidy deal for a pioneering tidal lagoon at Swansea. A flagship plan on how to meet the UK’s 2030 target of cutting emissions by 57% compared to 1990 levels, originally expected last year, is now “long overdue,” Kingham added. Jim Skea, the president of the institute, said of the delayed Clean Power Plan: “If we’re going to keep on track [with binding carbon targets] there is an urgent need to get that published.” The departure of energy minister Nick Hurd is seen as a… Read full this story
- Greenhouse gas emissions in UK fell 3% in 2018, official figures show
- Budget 2009: £1.4bn package to create low-carbon economy is inadequate, campaigners say
- Will fracking in Lancashire's green hills solve Britain's energy crisis?
- Global airline CO2 scheme will supplement, not replace EU carbon market: Commission
- How is the Covid-19 energy slump affecting the weather?
- Budget 2009: Darling promises 34% emissions cuts with world's first binding carbon budgets
- The Guardian view on transport emissions: the trouble with planes and automobiles
- Clean energy can become Big Oil's best investment
- US and Canada promise to lead world to low-carbon economy
- Break-in targets climate scientist
UK on track to miss carbon emissions target due to stalled energy policy have 292 words, post on www.theguardian.com at June 26, 2017. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.