TOKYO: Toshiba Corp is going forward with plans to build a new flash-memory manufacturing plant without longtime venture partner Western Digital Corp. The company will spend 195 billion yen ($1.8 billion) on construction of Fab 6 of its Yokkaichi memory plant in western Japan, the Tokyo-based company said in a statement on Thursday. Toshiba, which owns the land, buildings and the production know-how at the factory, has split investments in the equipment with SanDisk Corp. Since the start of the joint supply venture in 2004. Western Digital acquired SanDisk last year. The two companies are locked in an escalating legal fight over Toshiba’s plan to sell its share of the business to make up for losses in its nuclear power operations. Western Digital is arguing that it has a say in the sale, as well as right of first refusal. Further legal wrangling could delay the sale to a group of preferred bidders, putting Toshiba at risk of being delisted. Toshiba said it is spending 15 billion yen more than originally planned, but going it alone will not impact production or development, according to the statement.
- Samsung engineers allowed into China chip plant despite COVID-19 foreigner ban
- Samsung said to be developing industry's first 160-layer NAND flash memory chip
- Sneaky Marketing Redux: Toshiba, Seagate Shipping Slower SMR Drives Without Disclosure, Too
- Cheap 55-inch 4K TVs: LG, Samsung, TCL, Toshiba on sale from only $280
- How Chip Gaines and Joanna Gaines Continue to Renovate Their Unbelievably Successful Empire
- Josh Wise is Chip Ganassi Racing’s human optimizer
- Sustainability, data key to survival for new players eyeing Singapore's digital bank market
- Overnight digital transformation: welcome to the year 2025, 60 months early
- To accelerate transformation, think beyond the RFP when seeking services partners
- Samsung eUFS 3.1 storage chip offers threefold increase in write speeds, enters mass production
Toshiba to build chip plant without partner Western Digital have 301 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at August 4, 2017. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.