The next film in the Purge franchise is going back in time. The First Purge will be a prequel set during the first year of the annual one-day murder spree. In preparation for the new film, Blumhouse–the studio behind the franchise–has revealed the movie’s synopsis, cast, and a very interesting first poster.
The synopsis of the movie reads, “Behind every tradition lies a revolution. Next Independence Day, witness the rise of our country’s 12 hours of annual lawlessness. Welcome to the movement that began as a simple experiment: The First Purge. To push the crime rate below one percent for the rest of the year, the New Founding Fathers of America (NFFA) test a sociological theory that vents aggression for one night in one isolated community. But when the violence of oppressors meets the rage of the marginalized, the contagion will explode from the trial-city borders and spread across the nation.”
The poster for the movie is rather simple but powerful. As you can see above, the film’s title is embroidered on a red baseball cap, invoking imagery of the Make America Great Again hats that are closely associated with Donald Trump’s presidency.
While the roles they will play is unclear, the movie will be comprised of a brand-new cast that includes Y’Lan Noel, Lex Scott Davis, Joivan Wade, Luna Lauren Velez, and Marisa Tomei. This marks the second role set in a dystopian world for Tomei in recent weeks; She will also appear in the second season of Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale. The movie will be directed by Gerald McMurray and written by James DeMonaco.
The First Purge–the fourth film in the series–will hit theaters on July 4. What better way to celebrate America’s independence that seeing the worst case scenario for what it could become?
- 'We trust making America great again will not mean losing sight of what makes it great already'
- California woman fired after targeting man wearing Make America Great Again hat in Starbucks
- George Osborne: My campaign to Make Hancock Great Again
- Mayor’s Community Awards winners – the people who make Redbridge great
- Forget the beanbags: What makes a Great Place to Work?
- What makes a great director of football? Manchester United must find the answer if they are to thrive again
- Make a great start to new family life with expert advice at the Baby & Toddler Show
- Preston North End's record after international breaks doesn't make for great reading
- Making 110 Great Again: Every Stand At Mathöll Höfða Reviewed
- How you can make hundreds of pounds spring cleaning your own home