www.nytimes.com By CAMPBELL ROBERTSON Charmaine Pruitt wrote the names of 12 churches on a sheet of paper, tore the paper into 12 strips, and dropped them into a Ziploc bag. It was Sunday morning and time to pick which church to attend. This time of the week two years earlier, there would have been no question. Ms. Pruitt, 46, would have been getting ready for her regular Saturday afternoon worship service, at a former grocery store overhauled into a state-of-the-art, 760-seat sanctuary. In the darkened hall, where it would have been hard to tell she was one of the few black people in the room, she would have listened to the soaring anthems of the praise bands. She would have watched, on three giant screens, a sermon that over the course of a weekend would reach one of the largest congregations in the country. But Ms. Pruitt has not been to that church since the fall of 2016. That was when she concluded that it was not, ultimately, meant for people like her. She has not been to any church regularly since. Ms. Pruitt pulled one of the slips out of the Ziploc bag. Mount Olive Fort Worth. O.K. That was… Read full this story
- I'm Not A Black Man - I'm Not A White Man - I'm a Man
- Worldwide Church of God... Since You Don't Listen
- Richard Wright Coming of Age in a White-Dominated South and Equipping Himself For Fighting Racism
- Church As Unusual
- How Your Church Can Take on the Porn Epidemic
- Movie Review - Black Snake Moan
- Fathering a Child and Leaving Does Not Make You a Man, Raising the Child Does
- Winter is Coming (Growing Old- A Story Out of Minnesota) Chapters 1 & 2 "The House and the Church"
- How Cousin Charley Unraveled Church Revival Service - Down Home Story
- White Doves Flying: In Memoriam to Rosa Parks
A Quiet Exodus: Why Blacks Are Leaving White Evangelical Churches have 303 words, post on www.theoklahomaeagle.net at March 9, 2018. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.