World No 4 Joelle King has safely navigated her way through to the Commonwealth Games squash semi-finals with a clinical three-set victory over India’s Joshna Chinappa.
King took just 34 minutes to account for Chinappa, ranked 14th in the world, eventually winning 11-5 11-6 11-9.
The 29-year-old Kiwi will face former world No.1 Nicol David in Sunday’s semi- final after the Malaysian edged 10th-ranked Englishwoman Alison Waters 7-11 11-13 11-9 11-9 12-10 in a 61-minute marathon.
World No 12 Tesni Evans (Wales) beat seventh-ranked Englishwoman Laura Massaro 11-8 11-8 5-11 15-13 and will meet Sarah-Jane Perry in the other semi-final.
Ranked eighth in the world, Perry (England) beat Australian Donna Urquhart 11-5 7-11 11-2 11-5.
For Paul Coll, the victory over fifth seed Selby was a little more challenging. Including putting up with the constant questioning of calls and a number of collisions into the Kiwis back. Selby irked officials so much that the match ended with the Englishman being docked a point on match ball and the win being awarded to Coll.
Earlier in the match Coll had started the third game 1-0 ahead after a conduct stroke against Selby at the end of the second game.
“I wasn’t too sure what happened at the end of the game, but I’ll take a win however I can get it,” said Coll, who hasn’t played Makin before.
“I just played him last week in Auckland in practice, but I haven’t played him competition. He’s a rising player, hopefully the match will be a bit earlier in the night. It’s good to have both Joelle and I in the semis. We came in here with high expectations.”
Although making the semi-finals puts King and Coll in the medal rounds, it does not guarantee them a medal as there are playoffs for bronze if they do not progress to the final.
- LGD.cn advances to the G-League Semi-Finals
- Free games: Crusader Kings 2 is yours to keep on Steam
- Suresh Raina Questions Decision To Send MS Dhoni Down The Order In World Cup Semi-Final
- TongFu advances to the G-League Semi-Finals, Speed Gaming.int knocked out of the tournament
- The Dota International Semi-Finals: Pubstomp and The Big Upset
- Fortnite World Cup Week 6 Semi-Final
- Fortnite World Cup Week 6 Semi-Finals
- World Cup Semi-Final: Hat-Trick Man Mohammed Shami Not Part of India Playing XI vs New Zealand
- BBC to stream FA Cup final and one semi-final in 4K and HDR – here’s how to watch them
- The International 2016: Dota 2 Semi-Finals Pre-cap