The royal wedding could provide a shot in the arm of more than £80m for the country’s slowing economy as retailers, pubs and hoteliers look to cash in on Harry and Meghan’s looming nuptials. VisitBritain said about 50,000 Americans were expected to be among the crowds lining the roads in Windsor and soaking up the atmosphere in the capital when Prince Harry and Meghan Markle tie the knot later this month. Pubs have been given special permission to stay open late while retailers in London’s shopping district are anticipating a £60m mini sales boom on the back of tourist spending sprees. “There could be a modest boost to GDP growth in the second quarter from the royal wedding and the football World Cup starting in mid-June,” said Howard Archer, chief economic advisor to economic forecasting group the EY Item Club. “There may well be a temporary boost to retail sales from people buying souvenirs and also to tourism.” Airbnb said that with around 42,000 guest arrivals expected in London, hosts were set to rake in £12m from renting out their properties. In Windsor residents can earn £353 from the wedding weekend alone by using the platform to let their properties…. Read full this story
- This Morning 'to visit Australia and South Africa with new safari feature and live cooking segments as the show tries to lift viewers' spirits in lockdown'
- Royal tribute to the Queen of the Queen Vic: Prince Charles remembers 'great British actress' Dame Barbara who will be 'deeply missed' after EastEnders and Carry On icon lost Alzheimer's battle aged 83
- No10 slaps down Tory calls for 'road map' out of lockdown as ministers plot tougher borders and bigger bailouts - despite R number falling BELOW 1 and figures showing cases have HALVED in a fortnight
- No10 is examining plans to keep bars closed for FIVE MONTHS with full lockdown until late March as Covid death toll passes 80,000
- Airlines 'urgently' need government help to survive prolonged travel curbs, industry bosses warn, after Boris Johnson closed all air corridors
- What could possibly go wrong! Ministers could use an ALGORITHM to decide which vulnerable people in coronavirus hotspots have to stay at home and 'shield indefinitely' as the Government claims spread of coronavirus is 'getting out of control'
- Deaths AND cases drop again with 501 victims and 22,915 infections as scientists clash over Christmas restrictions - with one warning holiday visits could lead to you 'burying your loved ones in January'
- Chaos as air bridge to Costas is axed overnight! Brits in Spain are ordered into 14-day quarantine on their return and trips for thousands hit as essential-only travel advice kicks in after new Covid outbreak – amid warning more countries will follow
- 'Stop shirking your responsibility': Michael Gove warns 100 potential Tory lockdown rebels to put the country's interests first as it emerges almost the entire nation is to be banned from socialising indoors until APRIL
- Mecca Bingo and NatWest back The Sun’s Jabs Army campaign to get Britain vaccinated
Royal wedding could give €90m lift to UK economy have 489 words, post on delano.lu at May 7, 2018. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.