An alleged attempted murder victim was left for dead inside his burning flat by two men he called friends, a court heard.
Frank Cartner told a jury at Newcastle Crown Court that Anthony Slater and Anthony James came into his home in Kenton, Newcastle, before allegedly attacking him with a knife.
Mr Cartner then claims the pair set fire to his home after barricading him in his bedroom.
The court heard he had to be rescued by firefighters before being taken to hospital and having emergency surgery.
Prosecutors allege that Slater, who had known Mr Cartner since they were young children, slashed his neck repeatedly and then encouraged James to do the same.
The court heard the alleged attack took place after Mr Cartner was accused of stealing a fuse box from the house of a young mum, who had a child who relied on electrical medical equipment.
However, Mr Cartner claims that this incident was never mentioned during the alleged attack and instead they were accusing him of stealing their mobile phones.
Giving evidence via video link from HMP Northumberland where he is serving a sentence for an unrelated robbery, Mr Cartner admitted he stole the fuse box as he had no electricity in his flat.
After moving into the rundown flat on Columbia Grange in Kenton, Mr Cartner said he had to light candles when it got dark and also said there was no lock on the front door.
Mr Cartner, 39, said that he had known Slater, who he nicknamed Bobo, since he was around nine and then subsequently met James when he was around 14.
He told the jury that he did not see the pair for years while he lived out of the area, but reconnected with them around a month before the alleged attack.
Mr Cartner told the court that on the evening of September 18 last year, after he took the fuse box, a police officer came to his home to question him about it.
He told the court that Slater and James later turned up at his flat and banged on the door and letterbox.
Mr Cartner alleges that Slater then began to question him about some phones which had gone missing from his home, before starting to cut his throat with a shiny object.
Prosecutor Mark Giuliani asked Mr Cartner what James was doing while Slater was cutting his throat.
He replied: “Titch (James’ nickname) was searching around the bedroom, looking through boxes and looking under the bed.”
Referring to Slater he added: “He was adamant. He was just slashing at my neck. I was telling him to stop doing it and picked a pillow up and held it to my neck to try and stop the bleeding.
“That’s when Titch came in and started trying to stab me. He was swinging for me and Bobo was encouraging it saying ‘get him done’.
“Titch didn’t seem like he wanted to do it really. He wasn’t trying that hard.”
Mr Cartner told the court they then stopped and left the room leading him to hold the bedroom door shut until he could not hear them rummaging around anymore.
He said: “I opened the door and loads of smoke came billowing in the bedroom.
“I was coughing and couldn’t breathe properly. I shouted for help and was trying to get out of the window.”
Mr Giuliani asked: “Are you sure about the identity of these two men?”
Mr Cartner replied: “Certainly, yes.”
Dafydd Enoch, defending James, asked Mr Cartner if he had been involved in “scuffles” with others in the area over drugs.
He replied: “I’m not willing to answer that. It’s got nothing to do with this matter.”
Under cross-examination, Mr Cartner admitted that he was a former heroin addict with a lengthy criminal record dating back to 1991. He was on Methadone at the time of the alleged attack.
James Curtis, representing Slater, accused Mr Cartner of telling a “terrible tale against your lifelong friend”, which he denied.
Mr Curtis suggested that Mr Cartner had actually been attacked by drug dealers and was blaming his friends as they were “soft targets”.
Mr Carter replied: “Why would I do that?”
Mr Curtis said: “You have pointed the finger at your two friends because you are afraid of who actually did this to you.”
But Mr Cartner replied: “No, you have got this totally wrong.”
Slater, of Ambridge Way, and James, of Colgrove Place, deny charges of attempted murder, arson and attempting to pervert the course of justice.
The trial continues.
- Officers appeal to potential witness in alleged attempted murder probe
- Man in court over alleged attempted murder following Celtic v Rangers clash
- Kirrie murder accused ‘was not taking police seriously’, court told
- Woman left critical after alleged attempted murder is named
- Boy, 14, was in charge of £189,000 cannabis farm growing in Hartlepool flat, court told
- Brother of west Belfast murder victim left with serious injuries in fatal Crumlin stabbing incident
- Six arrests made after Kingston Park alleged attempted murder 'shooting'
- Youth allegedly raped 'vulnerable' girl (12) he met on Facebook,court told
- Alleged prominent businessman assault victim looking for a 'pay day', court told
- Police name caravan site murder victim before 19-year-old's court appearance