Another battle of words is brewing between Malta and Italy on yet another group of migrants that has been rescued by a ship belonging to a non-governmental organisation. Italian Home Minister Matteo Salvini, on Twitter, wrote that Italy will not be accepting the ship with the migrants which, according to him, is closer to Malta. But, in a reply, Home Affairs Minister Michael Farrugia said that Lampedusa, which is Italian territory, is closer to the area where the SAR operation took place. The map shows that Lampedusa is 124.99 nautical miles away from the site, while Malta is 141.02 nautical miles away. The ship Open Arms, Salvini wrote, which carried a Spanish flag and belongs to a Spanish NGO, rushed to save 50 migrants without waiting for the intervention of the Libyan coast guard. He sais that this ship is in the Libyan search and rescue area with Malta as its closest port. “They should not even think of coming to Italy,” he said, adding that this “human trafficking mafia” has to stop. “The fewer (number of people) leave (land), the fewer die,” he said. In a tweet in reply, Farrugia also posted a map which shows that the… Read full this story
- Ocean Viking: Italy to transfer migrants to quarantine ship after suicide attempts
- Migrant Who Killed Italian for Being ‘White’ and ‘Happy’ Gets 30 Years in Prison
- Spain says 'we can't be Europe's sea rescue service': Second EU stand-off on migrants as Madrid REFUSES to take 230 from NGO boat - forcing Italy to cave in and accept some despite deputy PM's claim to have halted 'invasion'
- Aid ship declares emergency after 6 migrants attempt suicide
- After suicide attempts on board, ship carrying migrants issues red alert asking permission to dock
- Families of Italy COVID-19 victims call for ‘truth and justice’
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo says he’s lost 13 pounds in 3 days while battling COVID-19
- UPDATE ON CORONAVIRUS: 812 health workers infected — PTF
- Charity: Rescue ship gets OK to bring 180 migrants to Sicily
- Italy threatens to block ships from EU's Mediterranean migrant mission
Updated: Another battle between Malta, Italy brewing on yet another ship with migrants have 343 words, post on www.independent.com.mt at June 30, 2018. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.