Washington’s top diplomat Mike Pompeo was addressing Vietnamese business leaders but his real audience was not in the Hanoi dining room. The U.S. Secretary of State was sending a message from the thriving commercial heart of this once war-torn city all the way to North Korea. Vietnam fought a brutal war to expel American invaders, but now the former foes enjoy burgeoning trade ties and a cautious but real friendship. And, whether talking at a business dinner or walking the bustling shopping streets of old Hanoi, Pompeo wants Kim Jong Un to know it. If only North Korea were to surrender its nuclear arsenal, he suggests, it too could grow rich like its fellow one party state Vietnam. Addressing business leaders, Pompeo said that U.S.-Vietnam trade had grown 8,000 percent in the past decade, as it rose to relative prosperity. “I say all of that because it’s important, but I hope that the United States, that one day we can share the same relationship with North Korea,” he said. Last month U.S. President Donald Trump met Kim in Singapore at a historic summit designed to open a diplomatic route outside of conflict. The meeting culminated with the leaders signing a… Read full this story
- What North Korea Really Wants
- North Korea - Yes, You Have Our Attention
- North Korea Stretching Its Muscles
- The Age of Nuclear Terrorism may be upon Us sooner than we think - North Korea Goes Nuclear
- North Korea and U.N. Security Council Resolution 1718: Are We Safer ?
- Nuclear Test North Korea?
- North Korea: A Nuclear Player
- Nuclear Weapons Tests in North Korea; What About Nuclear Fallout!
- Ignoring North Korea and Iranian Nuclear Weapons Programs is a Mistake
- North Korea's Threats and China's Lukewarm Response
Pompeo preaches prosperity to North Korea, via Vietnam have 299 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at July 8, 2018. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.