Rollercoasters and pirate ships were the focus of a Rolls-Royce workshop at Derby Grammar School designed to inspire future engineers. Students in Year 9 took part in the Maths Through Science session with three graduates from Derby-based Rolls-Royce. The class was split into two groups with one team building their own rollercoaster before working out how high up the track the car needs to be released from to complete one loop. Students in the other team were given a model of a pirate ship, which had already been assembled, and were asked to find out what controls how long a pirate ship takes to complete an oscillation. Catherine Hocknell, R-R graduate engineer, led the session with nuclear controls graduate, Mark Northfield, and civil aerospace engineering graduate, James Roberts. Read More Your Good News Catherine said the aim was to engage students with STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) by showing them how they can apply it to real-life situations. She said: “We ask the students to conduct different experiments with the equipment and the idea is so that they can see how Science works in the real world and in this case it’s by using a rollercoaster and a pirate… Read full this story
- Return to grammar school selection would be disaster, says Ofsted chief
- The mad scramble for school places
- ‘You want to shout: Stop saying that! Look at your own school funding figures!’
- Third of Britain's Rio medallists went to private schools
- Emiliano Sala boarding passes printed ahead of Swansea vs Cardiff derby as repulsive fans mock tragic striker
- Enrol with it! Noel Gallagher buys £8m seven-bedroom country pile with swimming pool and tennis court so son can get in to exclusive public school
- Blood on their hands: How 500 people – mostly young men – kill themselves every year after getting hooked on gambling by ruthlessly greedy betting giants
- Was the 1980s Bradford headteacher who criticised multiculturalism right?
- Is the staggeringly profitable business of scientific publishing bad for science?
- Stress and serious anxiety: how the new GCSE is affecting mental health
Derby Grammar School pupils enjoy Rolls-Royce workshop have 336 words, post on www.derbytelegraph.co.uk at December 16, 2018. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.