The Anthem VIP demo – and regular demo – comes instead of what most expected to be a beta and gives you and early look at BioWare’s upcoming space shooter.
Here, we’ll detail how to access the Anthem VIP demo and regular demo, along with any other important bits of info worth knowing.
On this page:
Anthem VIP Demo, start time and Open Demo dates
There are three dates you need to bear in mind (it’s never easy with EA launches…):
- Anthem VIP Demo start date and end date – Friday, January 25th to Sunday, January 27th
- Anthem Open Demo start date and end date – Friday, February 1st to Sunday, February 3rd
- Anthem release date – Friday, 22nd February 2019
The Anthem VIP Demo start time and Open Demo start time are the same across both events:
- UK: 5pm (BST)
- Europe: 4pm (CEST)
- East Coast US: 12pm (EDT)
- West Coast US: 9am (PDT)
Accessing the VIP Demo is a different case to accessing the regular open demo a few days later so, if you want to play as soon as possible, here are the various methods for each – there’s no news on exact start and end times for now either, but we’ll update this page if and when they’re announced.
How to access the Anthem VIP Demo and Open Demo
There are two demos then, and they’re accessed in different ways. First up, the earlier VIP Demo.
How to access the Anthem VIP Demo
There are three ways you can access the VIP Demo. You must either:
- Pre-order Anthem; or
- Be an EA Access subscriber; or
- Be an Origin Access subscriber at the time of the VIP Demo
If you’re an Origin Access or EA Access subscriber, or if you pre-ordered via the Origin, Xbox, or PlayStation stores, you’ll already be automatically registered for the VIP Demo and won’t need a code. The VIP Demo itself is downloaded via the Origin, Xbox or PlayStation store, where you then just need to sign into it with your EA account.
Note that if you pre-ordered by any other means, you’ll need to enter a code to access the demo – EA’s advice is to contact the retailer you pre-ordered from to receive the code.
Finally, it’s worth noting that you’ll get an “exclusive in-game item” of some kind to show you participated in the VIP demo, too.
How to access the Anthem Open Demo
The Open Demo for Anthem is exactly that: completely open to anyone. It’s a classic, old-school demo – simply head to your digital store of choice, search for it, and download to crack on. Remember that it’s only available during those above dates, though!
What will the Anthem Demo be like?
Details of what exactly is in the Anthem demo are thin on the ground, but BioWare has said you’ll play “some missions and then a slice of the world is yours to explore”.
You’ll be level 10 – suggesting you’ll be part way through the campaign and not the beginning – allowing you to use some of the more interesting and powerful weaponry that’s available.
BioWare has also been showing glimpses of the game as part of community live streams and new promoted video coverage, including the game’s hub, NPCs and available missions. Arekkz shows some example clips of this in his Alpha explainer video below:
It’s an online game, so of course you’ll need an internet connection – and on consoles, Xbox Live and PSN subscriptions – to play, and EA has mentioned that you’ll be taking “the Ranger and one other javelin for a test run”, so it looks like you won’t be able to test all of them in the one Demo, but will be able to try out more than just that classic Iron Man-style Ranger class.
In the meantime, there’s plenty to learn about Anthem if you haven’t heard about it already. Our video below shows it better than we can but in short – it looks like a cross between Destiny, Warframe and Titanfall, with some BioWare storytelling thrown into the mix.
That’s our best guess anyway – whether it lives up to the comparisons remains to be seen. Guess you’ll have to play the Anthem Demo to find out!
Additional writing by Matthew Reynolds.
- Strange Angel Premiere Date Announced by CBS All Access
- A Wrinkle in Time Discourse Shows We Need to Rethink the Way We Talk About Inclusion
- How do they film This Time Next Year? Here’s how Davina’s ‘time travel’ reality show actually works
- Outlander Season 5: What We Know So Far
- A Brief History of Our Time
- 9 Surprising Passport Facts You Need to Know
- Enjoying the Lull: Early fall is a good time to try out new concepts
- 'Kingdom Hearts' Plot Explained: Everything You Need to Know About This Wild Disney/Anime RPG
- Shell starts up big, new Gulf Coast petrochemical unit
- s Eric Bolling Mocks Obama: ‘We All Know Obama’s A