While a lot of the talk in gaming, including mobile gaming, today is focused understandably on Fortnite, it is not the biggest money-maker out there, it seems.
Sensor Tower reports that the Candy Crush series of mobile games collectively made more than $1.5 billion in revenue from microtransactions in 2018 across iOS and Android. That works out to a staggering $4.2 million USD spent per day on average.
Candy Crush Saga, the 2012 original game, made $945 million by itself, which is very impressive for a game that is more than six years old. Its $945 million accounted for 63 percent of the total $1.5 billion that people spent on Candy Crush mobile games in 2018.
Twenty-nine percent of spending, or around $443 million, came from Candy Crush Soda Saga. Candy Crush Jelly Saga brought in around $90 million in 2018, which was good for 6 percent of total franchise revenue during the year. The newest Candy Crush game, Candy Crush Friends Saga, made $3 million in 2018 following its October release.
The Candy Crush games collectively added more than 230 million new players in 2018, though a total download figure was not made available.
For comparison, Pokemon Go made around $800 million from its microtransactions in 2018 across iOS and Android, so Candy Crush Saga ($945 million) beats it. Fortnite’s mobile edition made $455 million on iOS alone in 2018, but importantly, this figure only covers iOS; what’s more, Fortnite’s mobile edition only launched in March 2018.
Candy Crush is an Activision franchise, following the Call of Duty company’s acquisition of developer King back in 2015 for a staggering $5.9 billion.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email [email protected]
- Women Prefer Candy Crush While Men Love PUBG: Report
- Candy Crush
- Candy Crush Saga reportedly most-downloaded iOS game of all time
- Sensor Tower: Candy Crush Friends Saga’s 10 million first-week downloads have a sour note
- King’s Candy Crush Friends drives franchise to 262 million monthly active players
- Stop Playing Candy Crush and Start Playing Better Games
- Fortnite On Mobile Is Tough, But It Works
- Fortnite on iOS is making more money than Candy Crush after just three weeks
- Candy Crush Friends Saga: Everything you need to know!
- Candy Crush, Clear Vision, PAC-MAN, and the best free iPhone games of the week