18 February 2019 • 3:32pm Seven Labour MPs quit to form breakaway ’Independent Group’ Labour party has a ‘culture of bullying, bigotry and intimidation’ How is leaving Labour meant to help these MPs stop Brexit? Charles Moore: anti-Corbynistas cannot succeed with a new party until they look to the future Two more senior Tory MPs facing deselection votes Steve Barclay to meet Barnier for talks on backstop Sign up: Brexit Whatsapp updates and all-new Brexit Bulletin Tom Watson has warned more Labour MPs could quit as he said he no longer recognises the Labour party. Labour’s deputy leader said “I love this party, but sometimes I no longer recognise it. “Many other colleagues will be asking themselves how they can stay,” he said, and called for a shadow cabinet reshuffle. Today seven Labour MPs quit Labour to found a new “Independent Group” after saying they are “ashamed” of Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership. Chuka Umunna, Chris Leslie, Luciana Berger, Gavin Shuker, Mike Gapes, Ann Coffey and Angela Smith cited the Labour leader’s handling of Brexit and anti-Semitism as their reason for leaving. Announcing the resignations, Ms Berger said: “I have become embarrassed and ashamed to remain in the party.” Speaking at a press conference in Westminster, Ms Berger said: “I… Read full this story
- Tom Watson’s peerage ‘rejected over support for false VIP paedo ring claim by fantasist Carl Beech’
- What is the Labour antisemitism row?
- ANDREW PIERCE: The final shame of violent ex-major who bragged: ‘You can’t touch me, I’m an MP’
- Labour: dysfunctional 'toxic culture' led to defeat, major report finds
- Rebecca Long-Bailey sacking reignites Labour turmoil over antisemitism
- Sun-seekers ignore warnings they'll be fined for breaking lockdown rules as they head to beaches with temperatures set to hit 82F – despite THREE Sage scientists saying we are lifting restrictions too soon
- Ex-Labour shadow minister Eric Joyce - who quit the party after head-butting two Tory MPs in Commons bar bust-up - faces jail after admitting he had ‘spam’ child porn film involving baby
- Boring Bob: Former Barclays boss Diamond fails to dish the dirt on politicians or bankers despite grilling by MPs over rate-fixing scandal
- 'I will NOT be silenced': Furious Priti Patel hits back after 31 Labour MPs tell her she can't talk about her own experience of racism because it 'gaslights' Black Lives Matter protesters
- 'Let's move our country forward': Boris Johnson pleads with MPs to get behind his Brexit bill as Labour and Remainers bid to block his frantic 72-hour timetable in crunch Commons votes - killing off his 'do or die' vow to be out of the EU by Halloween
Labour Party split: Seven MPs quit to form 'Independent Group' and as Tom Watson warns others will follow have 430 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at February 18, 2019. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.