“Fortnite” has made a 14-year-old boy $196,000 richer and he’s just revealed how.
Griffin Spikoski spends anywhere between eight to 18 hours a day playing the video game which has made him an internet sensation.
Spikoski records himself playing “Fornite” and then uploads those videos to YouTube.
He then receives a large amount of money from advertising, sponsors and subscriber donations.
His career really took off around nine months ago when he gained 7.5 million views on a video showing him beating a well-known “Fortnite” gamer.
The teenager is from New York and fits his gaming around online high school courses.
Spikoski goes by the name of Sceptic on YouTube and has over one million subscribers.
He has admitted that some of his weekend 18-hour “Fornite” sessions are probably too much.
The teen justified his excessive gaming to ABC by saying “It’s kind of like my job.”
His parents have hired a financial advisor to help him handle his income and have helped him set up a company.
They see his gaming as a sport and advise other parents to encourage their children if they’re passionate about video games.
UK-based esports organization Misfits Gaming actually lists Sceptic as a professional athlete.
Sceptic only has sensible plans for his fortune though as he wants to save it so he can pay for university fees and buy a house in the future.
The teen and his family are traveling to Berlin next month for an international online video gaming convention.
This story originally appeared in The Sun.
- Watch | Two-year-old boy falls into borewell in Tamil Nadu, rescue efforts underway
- Mother-of-nine nursery worker who was jailed for sexually abusing a two-year-old boy is forced to move home after neighbours discovered her true identity in a Christmas card
- Government is partly to blame for murder of five-year-old boy who was beaten to death by his mother's boyfriend after he was released from prison on licence, coroner rules
- Manja claims life of three-year-old boy
- Florida parents charged with neglect after 14-year-old daughter calls abuse hotline because she was 'contemplating suicide due to her deplorable living conditions'
- Police arrest four people including a 16-year-old boy on suspicion of murder after a man was stabbed to death at a house and another injured
- Former KPMG director, 69, linked to Jeffrey Epstein madam Ghislaine Maxwell 'groomed 14-year-old model to be his slave and subjected her to sadomasochistic sex and dungeons'
- Nine-year-old boy charged with murder over the deaths of five family members
- Foster mom is arrested in 'adoption scheme where she claimed state benefits for a two-year-old boy while he lived with a different family 1000 miles away'
- Two Tunisians: One, a craven killer hellbent on destroying life 'for Allah'. The other, an innocent four-year-old boy slaughtered alongside his mother in Bastille Day horror