MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. (AP) — Facing the setting sun, Serena Williams tried to shield her eyes with her left hand as she hit a shot, lost the point and then waved in frustration at the bothersome glare. Later, after a seesaw victory in her first match at the Miami Open’s new site, she was able to joke about the unwanted spotlight. “A lot of photographers came,” Williams said. “I thought, ‘This must be good light.’ I thought about taking a selfie, but you’ve got to stay in the moment.” Williams played poorly for a stretch and was broken three times but steadied her game in the final set to beat Rebecca Peterson 6-3, 1-6, 6-1. She avoided a repeat of last year, when she was eliminated in the first round by Naomi Osaka. ADVERTISEMENT That was Williams’ farewell to Key Biscayne, where she won eight titles. Only Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf have won any women’s tournament more times. Six-time men’s champion Novak Djokovic won his opening match under the lights, beating Bernard Tomic 7-6 (2), 6-2. With the Miami Open’s move to the Dolphins’ stadium complex, players are adjusting to the unfamiliar setting. The No. 1-ranked Osaka beat qualifier… Read full this story
- Serena Williams's U.S. Open Loss Was Humiliating—But Not for Her
- US Open: Serena Williams powers past Caroline Wozniacki for sixth title
- Serena Williams' smashed racket from the US Open sold for $20,910
- Serena Williams Loses to Simona Halep at Wimbledon, and Fans Can't Believe It
- Serena Williams Shows off 'Yacht Type' in Sunny Photos
- Serena Williams Fined $10,000 for Damaging Wimbledon Court - Reports
- What's wrong with Naomi Osaka?
- Serena Williams accuses umpire of sexism in US Open loss
- Serena Williams' smashed US Open racket auctions for nearly $21G -- after ball boy sold it for $500
- Serena Williams Gets Thrashed by Romania's Simona Halep in Wimbledon Final, Leaving Twitter Abuzz
Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka win opening matches in Miami have 311 words, post on apnews.com at March 23, 2019. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.