JERSEY CITY – Hundreds of colorful Easter eggs brightened up a gloomy day at Lincoln Park, and dozens of kids were eager to collect them all Saturday morning.
The pre-Easter celebration featured food, a live DJ and face-painting.
The hunt, a three-decade-old tradition, was sponsored by Hudson County Freeholder Bill O’Dea with the help of Hudson County Democratic Chair Amy DeGise and Councilman Rolando R. Lavarro Jr., among others.
“I just like watching the kids have fun,” O’Dea said.
But for the kids, it was more than just fun – it was a mission.
Children who found a red ticket in one of their eggs were awarded gift cards and if a child had 10 or more eggs, he or she received two free tickets to the CityPlex 12 movie theater in Newark that’s co-owned by NBA Hall of Famer Shaquille O’Neal.
O’Dea had the children line up against the entrance of the playground and had them eagerly wait as he counted down to zero. Once the last number was ticked of, kids of all ages zoomed past one another and grabbed as many colorful eggs as possible; the eggs were scattered from the slides to the swing sets all the way in the back.
“Get ‘em, baby, get ‘em!” a father coached his two daughters from the sideline.
Parents weren’t allowed to help their kids in any way, but many tried to point them in the right direction.
Many kids walked back with big smiles of satisfaction and a basket full of eggs, but for one child, he missed out on all the chaos.
“We came late!” said Jonia Parti of her son, Varjun. “He just found a few broken eggs. … But they were kind enough to give us movie tickets.”
Parti’s 6-year-old son was still able to enjoy the free snacks, interaction with the Easter bunny and the face-painting station where a handful of Saint Peter’s University students helped.
“It’s another great example of our students living out the mission and being in the community, providing a nice service for the kids,” said Erich Sekel, head of SPU’s Campus Ministry.
- Jersey City Art and Studio Tour begins Oct. 3
- Three arrested in connection with Jersey City Homicide
- New public safety headquarters planned for Jersey City
- Jersey City Fire Department gets $8.8 million in grant funding
- Jersey City man found guilty of murder
- Jersey City unveils new half-mile bike lane along Bergen Avenue
- How to have an Easter egg hunt – best clues and riddles ideas and top Easter egg deals 2017
- This is how many calories are REALLY in your favourite Easter eggs (and how long it’ll take to burn them off)
- Why do we have the Easter Bunny and Easter eggs and what is the Easter story?
- On the hunt for sustainable Easter eggs