We can’t talk about the measles outbreak in Michigan without discussing the anti-vaxx movement.And we can’t discuss the anti-vaxx movement without scrutinizing the specious premise that the measles vaccine is, on the whole, more dangerous than measles itself.At this point, 39 people have been diagnosed with measles in Michigan, the highest number since 1991. Three dozen cases may not seem like a lot for a disease once so ubiquitous that public-health officials assume anybody born before 1957 has already had it.For most Americans of that generation, measles was a miserable experience – high fever, red eyes, ear infections as well as the tell-tale rash – but certainly not life-threatening.But there’s a reason a measles vaccine was greeted with such excitement in 1963, especially among doctors. Measles can have serious complications, including pneumonia, encephalitis and hearing loss.People can die. Before the vaccine became widespread, measles killed an estimated 2.6 million people a year worldwide. Most of the victims were children.Even today, about 100,000 people die annually from measles. That’s not just in the Third World. Measles deaths have recently occurred in Israel, Italy, France. German health officials say about a fourth of their reported measles patients end up in the hospital…. Read full this story
- Was Panthers’ humiliating defeat to Steelers a blip on radar? Or, is worse to come?
- Mellinger Minutes: Chiefs’ bad defense and worse idea, Royals and college football
- Laurent Duvernay-Tardif injury worse than Chiefs thought, putting his return in doubt
- Will Your NBA Team Be Better or Worse Off in 5 Years?
- David E. Davis, Jr.: Pitiless For This Rattner – Column
- 2016 Fiat 500X Trekking AWD – Better or Worse Than the Jeep Renegade?
- James Taylor column: Root must show his ruthless streak
- Smithy column: Waddle, Nobby, Keegan’s hair and why no-one over 30 will dare fancy England for World Cup
- Danny King column: Momentum is needed for Witches. And come on England (and Sweden!)
- Dennis Hobson column: Billy Joe Saunders was immature but at least he’s accepted his £100,000 punishment
No, the measles vaccine is not worse than measles (column) have 329 words, post on www.mlive.com at April 6, 2019. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.