High-profile US lawyer Michael Avenatti has been charged with defrauding his client Stormy Daniels of about $300,000 (£237,000). Mr Avenatti allegedly used a doctored document to divert the money which the pornstar was supposed to get from a book deal. He then used the cash for personal and business expenses, prosecutors in New York said. Of the estimated $300,000 (£237,000) diverted, only half has been paid back, the prosecutors claimed. Ms Daniels is not named in the court filing, but the details of the case made it clear that she is the client involved in the case. Mr Avenatti denied the allegations on Twitter. “No monies relating to Ms Daniels were ever misappropriated or mishandled,” he wrote. “She received millions of dollars worth of legal services and we spent huge sums in expenses “She directly paid only 100.00 for all that she received. I look forward to a jury hearing the evidence,” he wrote. Mr Avenatti represented Ms Daniels when she sued to be released from a nondisclosure agreement involving an alleged tryst with Donald Trump. The latest charges pile on top of previous allegations of legal misconduct by Mr Avenatti. Mr Avenatti was previously charged in New York with trying… Read full this story
- Pasadena Appeals Court Rejects Stormy Daniels’ Libel Suit Against President Donald Trump
- Michael Avenatti gets taxpayer-funded lawyer after judge agrees he's broke
- Government defends imprisoning ex-Trump lawyer Michael Cohen
- Judge orders Michael Cohen to be released from prison
- Former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen released from prison again
- Former Trump Lawyer Michael Cohen Released From Prison Again
- Michael Cohen accuses AG Bill Barr of throwing him back in prison to stop his 'graphic' book revealing Trump's 'racist slurs against Obama and Nelson Mandela'
- Michael Cohen sues Barr, claiming he was re-imprisoned over book he was writing criticizing Trump
- Judge Orders Former Trump Lawyer Michael Cohen Released From Prison
- Michael Cohen is FREED after just two weeks by judge who says jailing him again was 'retaliatory' attempt to stop tell-all book revealing Donald Trump's race slurs
Michael Avenatti charged with defrauding Stormy Daniels of £237k have 325 words, post on www.standard.co.uk at May 22, 2019. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.