News outlets across the country have characterized two recent bills that effectively banned abortions in Georgia and Alabama in a number of ways. Some media outlets have painted the laws as Republican measures while others have painted it as the byproducts of Christian crusaders or the creations of sexist men. But the numbers show it’s really not that simple. In Georgia, one Democrat voted “yea” and five Republicans voted against the passage of the so-called “fetal heartbeat bill,” which bans abortions before most women can know they are pregnant. And despite the assertion that the Living Infant Fairness and Equality (LIFE) Act is a move by Christian conservatives, one can safely assume that most of the people who voted “nay” are also Christians. Advertisement Even though a number of reporters and activists have noted that only male senators voted for the restrictive Alabama legislation, a woman sponsored the Alabama measure (State Rep. Terri Collins), six female lawmakers voted in favor of the ban and a woman signed the bill into law (Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey). In Georgia, 13 women voted to pass the bill and at least one Democratic representative in each state supported the measures. While those numbers represent… Read full this story
- Bill would ban abortion after Down syndrome diagnosis
- Frightened white people in Congress who won't accept a black President are what's causing the deadlock
- Steve King creates uproar with salute to contributions of white people
- Indiana white nationalist called 'the next David Duke' isn't stopping with Charlottesville
- White evangelicals just elected a thrice-married blasphemer: What that means for the religious right
- House passes far-reaching anti-abortion bill
- Is GOP flexing muscles for Christian conservatives?
- GOP pushes abortion bill through House after earlier stumble
- House rejects gender-based abortion bill
- Total abortion ban proposed in Indiana
Republicans, Men and Christians Aren't Trying to Ban Abortions. White People Are have 289 words, post on www.theroot.com at May 16, 2019. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.