However, the RTE presenter (49) said he will celebrate his 50th birthday by sitting in silence in the west of Ireland for 10 days. The performer will head to a Buddhist centre in Clare for his birthday on June 16 as he adopts a Zen-like approach to entering a new decade. He said his birthday would be spent not talking but meditating for nine hours a day and eating nothing after lunchtime. None of his pals took up the invitation to join him. “It takes three days for the scales of culture to fall off you,” Tiernan said. “We’re all so busy and we’re all flying around. It takes three days of sitting still looking at a spot on the floor for your body to kind of come back to itself.” He said the following three days were spent in “moral and psychic panic” but that the end result was more than worth it. “The final four days, you’re kind of coming to some sense of yourself. You leave calm as a breeze,” he said. Tiernan spent 10 years as a strict teetotaller after giving up his hell-raising ways, but he told RTE’s Ryan Tubridy he was now back on… Read full this story
- Primark’s new perfume range is in stores now… and prices start at just £3
- Innocent mum sentenced to 30 years in prison because she gave birth to a stillborn child
- Wolverhampton Literature Festival: Young Authors competition winners
- Who was the winner of the Poetry Corner competition?
- Former top policeman looks back on 30-year career that started as a real-life Hamish MacBeth
- Ten talking-points that defined the 2018 Cheltenham Festival
'You leave calm as a breeze' have 268 words, post on www.independent.ie at May 25, 2019. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.