London (CNN Business)Christine Lagarde, the incoming president of the European Central Bank, is not an economist. That’s a good thing. Lagarde, who most recently led the International Monetary Fund, is different from her predecessors. For starters, she’s a woman. She also has no experience in crafting monetary policy. What she brings to the ECB is a knack for handling the biggest jobs, savvy political instincts honed at the national and then international level, and deep connections in global finance. It’s precisely those skills that make Lagarde such an attractive choice to lead the ECB, one of the world’s three most important central banks and a bulwark against instability in Europe. Lagarde’s first day on the job is set for November 1, the day after Britain is due to leave the European Union. A crash out is unlikely to phase Lagarde, however: She’s known as a gifted communicator who commands the respect of markets. Read More Should an Italian debt debacle threaten the euro, investors have reasons to remain calm. Lagarde was French finance minister during the global financial crisis. At the IMF, she organized bailouts for Argentina and Greece. “It’s a big break from the past, but one that has… Read full this story
- Christine McGuinness shows off her incredible physique in bodysuit before enjoying lip-syncing session in behind-the-scenes footage from photoshoot
- 'I'm scared!' Christine McGuinness plans urgent call to doctor amid fears husband Paddy's vasectomy hasn't worked... as she craves ice lollies and a pal says there's a 'baby in their future'
- Ankara May Be Poised for Pivot From Middle East to Central Asia
- ECB's Lagarde predicts recovery with "high level of uncertainty" for 2021
- Why we need Emefiele now more than ever
- Petrol is on the inflation bonfire, we're just waiting for the spark
- Countess goes cottagecore! Alexandra Tolstoy whose oligarch ex was dubbed 'Putin's banker' embraces baking and tapestry after moving to Cotswolds following 'eviction' from £12M London mansion they shared
- Christine Ohuruogu reveals her 'hard' choice between netball and athletics in Driving Force
- 'I fully believe an orgasm a day keeps depression away': Christine McGuinness gives a glimpse inside her VERY cheeky messages with her pals
- Christine McGuinness displays her long legs in a beige mini-dress as she leaves a photoshoot in Cheshire
Christine Lagarde is not a central banker. She's just what Europe needs have 376 words, post on edition.cnn.com at July 3, 2019. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.