Date created : 22/08/2019 – 19:27Latest update : 22/08/2019 – 19:49 Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is meeting President Emmanuel Macron during a visit to France for the weekend’s G7 summit, with Kashmir, climate change and bilateral trade set to top the agenda. Watch FRANCE 24’s live coverage. More than a year after their last summit, Macron and Modi are meeting again Thursday ahead of the weekend’s G7 summit in Biarritz, to which Modi has been invited although India is not a formal member of the grouping.Defense and commercial contracts have dominated the agenda during meetings between French and Indian leaders in recent years. But this time, Modi and Macron are meeting under the shadow of India’s controversial August 5 scrapping of a key constitutional article granting autonomy to the disputed Kashmir region.The scrapping of Article 370 was implemented under an unprecedented lockdown on Kashmir. Thousands of Kashmiris – including prominent political leaders – have been detained, communication lines cut and mobility in the Kashmir Valley has been severely restricted with the deployment of tens of thousands of additional Indian troops in one of the world’s most militarised zones.Ahead of the meeting, French officials said Macron and Modi were set… Read full this story
- Brexit LIVE: Boris Johnson to host secret Brexit talks with Merkel and Macron
- Top Chinese official in India ahead of informal summit
- The Most Vulnerable Nations on Earth Are Holding the World's First Virtual Climate Summit
- Modi-Xi meet: CM checks Mamallapuram readiness
- Modi-Xi meet: 'No objection to erecting banners'
- India, Brexit, Rwanda: Your Monday Briefing
- Brexit: Cross-party talks to continue amid impasse
- Israeli, Palestinian leaders resume talks after six-week lull
- Ban on banners applicable to all: Puducherry CM
- At NATO, Trump does not pledge U.S. commitment to collective defense
Live: Macron hosts India's Modi for talks ahead of G7 summit have 281 words, post on www.france24.com at August 22, 2019. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.