20 years ago, the Wachowskis created one of the most memorable movies of the 20th century, The Matrix. This cultural phenomenon spawned two sequels, and while things have been quiet for more than a decade, the franchise isn’t stopping. The Matrix 4 is officially going to happen.
Lana Wachowski is set to return to write and direct the film in the franchise, and Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss will reprise their roles as Neo and Trinity respectively, according to Variety. That’s a bit puzzling because at the end of the third movie, The Matrix Revolutions, Neo sacrificed himself in order to save the world. Regardless, it’s science fiction, so there will undoubtedly be a way to bring him back from the dead..
Joining Wachowski on writing duties will be Aleksander Hemon (Love Island) and David Mitchell (Cloud Atlas). The movie should go into production in early 2020.
“We could not be more excited to be re-entering the Matrix with Lana,” Warner Bros. Picture Group chairman Toby Emmerich said. “Lana is a true visionary–a singular and original creative filmmaker–and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in The Matrix universe.”
The first reports of a new Matrix movie began in 2017, with Ready Player One’s Zak Penn writing the script. Penn said the movie would expand the Matrix universe and not reboot it. Michael B. Jordan was also in talks to star. However, it’s been completely silent since then, even though there were conflicting reports that the relaunch was cancelled back in May 2019. Both Penn was not mentioned for Matrix 4. Also not mentioned was Lilly Wachowski, who wrote and directed the original Matrix movies alongside her sister.
The first Matrix movie brought in $463,517,383 worldwide, and it spawned two sequels: 2003’s Matrix Reloaded–grossing $742,128,461 worldwide–and Matrix Revolutions–taking in $427,343,298 worldwide. The franchise has earned more than $1.6 billion in total.
2019 marks the 20th anniversary of The Matrix, and while the first movie still holds up, the sequels–primarily Revolutions–are still as problematic as you remember. Check out The Matrix Sequels’ 34 Dumbest Moments to relive the weirdness.
- The Matrix 4 Is Officially Happening with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss & Wachowski Directing
- 'The Matrix 4' Announced, Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss Return Despite Neo and Trinity's Apparent Deaths
- Helen Mirren Is "Flattered" to Be Mistaken for Keanu Reeves' Girlfriend
- Oscar-winning actress Helen Mirren was quite 'flattered' when people thought she was Keanu Reeves' girlfriend
- Keanu Reeves takes his motorcycle out for a spin after confirming his romance with artist Alexandra Grant
- Keanu Reeves on ‘Man of Tai Chi,’ ‘Bill & Ted’ & ‘Point Break’
- Keanu Reeves, 55, holds hands with first girlfriend in decades Alexandra Grant at event
- Keanu Reeves approached for ‘almost every’ Marvel movie
- This Week In Tabloids: Gather 'Round for a Story About Famous Actor Keanu Reeves!
- Flattering to be Mistaken as Keanu Reeves' Girlfriend, Says Helen Mirren