Mario Draghi will leave a more united euro zone when he steps down as president of the European Central Bank this week, but he hands over a body more publicly divided than ever on how best to resurrect an ailing regional economy.The 72-year-old Italian banker is widely credited with saving the euro zone from collapse, but some critics say he also overpowered opponents and tended to front-run the bank’s monetary policy in public.His approach fuelled discord that spilled into the open, critically weakening the bank’s united front when it was most needed to persuade investors that it was committed to its policies.Close More than a dozen current and former ECB policymakers who spoke to Reuters all agreed that Draghi is a superb central banker who deserves credit for swift action during the euro crisis of 2012, when he single-handedly saved the currency by quashing speculation against the bloc’s most heavily indebted countries. related news US opens national security investigation into TikTok: Sources US October job growth slows less than expected In-Depth | Donald Trump’s impeachment inquiry and a precariously stacked house of cards “Draghi was an inspiring leader at very difficult times,” former Austrian central bank chief Ewald Nowotny told… Read full this story
- Christine Lagarde is not a central banker. She's just what Europe needs
- Germany's Peace Offering to the European Central Bank
- European Central Bank members voice concern over its negative rate policy
- Mario Draghi is leaving the ECB: Here are the key moments of his 8-year reign
- Goodbye Mario Draghi as Lagarde era nears for ECB
- Mario Draghi’s Last Hurrah Clouded by Divisions at E.C.B.
- Christine Lagarde: The 60 Minutes Interview
- The man who saved the euro bows out amid 'unprecedented' dissent at Europe's central bank
- Mario Draghi's legacy will shape the ECB long after his farewell
- How to get women working at central banks
Mario Draghi leaves Christine Lagarde to heal rift at European Central Bank have 308 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at October 29, 2019. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.