In news that should surprise no one, Marvel is reportedly moving forward with a sequel to Captain Marvel. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel has hired WandaVision writer Megan McDonnell to script the sequel that will star Brie Larson again in the title role.
The writers/directors of the 2019 Captain Marvel, Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, are not coming back for Captain Marvel 2, according to the report. They are reportedly in discussions to direct an upcoming Marvel Disney+ series, but there is no word on what that will be.
THR also claims that Marvel is looking to hire a woman to direct Captain Marvel 2, which could hit theatres in the 2022. The report also claims the movie will be set in the present day, which is decades later than the first movie, which took place in the ’90s.
Captain Marvel, which also starred a digitally de-aged Samuel L. Jackson, as well as Jude Law, Ben Mendelsohn, Annette Bening, Djimon Hounsou, Gemma Chan, and Lashana Lynch, made more than $1.1 billion at the global box office.
- Cliffhanger Reboot Moves Forward with Writer Joe Gazzam
- Excl: Marvel's Sana Amanat Leads Hawkeye, Captain Marvel, And Ms. Marvel Into A New Era
- Captain Marvel Concept Art Shows Off a Very Different Look for Guardians of the Galaxy Villain
- New Set Pictures of Captain Marvel Reveal a Surprising First Look at Brie Larson in Costume
- Captain Marvel’s Epic Return in Avengers: Endgame Was Almost Very Different
- Who is Brie Larson? Oscar-winning actress and star of Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame – all you need to know
- 'Avengers 4,' 'Captain Marvel' Trailers Reportedly Coming This Week
- Kevin Feige Teases Black Panther 2, Guardians 3, Captain Marvel 2
- New 'Captain Marvel' Poster Revealed, Trailer Releasing Tomorrow
- Marvel Brings Back Classic Captain Marvel Form