Published 26 February 2020 Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Related Topics Scotland drug deaths Bold action is needed to tackle the drugs deaths emergency in Scotland, the leader of Glasgow City Council has told a summit. Susan Aitken called on the UK government to support new approaches such as safe consumption rooms in an attempt to get addicts off the streets. The SNP councillor was addressing the Scottish event at the SEC in Glasgow. It comes just 24 hours before the UK government hosts its own event in the same venue. Both aim to find solutions to the public health emergency that has seen drug misuse deaths reach record levels. What can be done about Scotland’s drugs crisis? Scotland’s drug death crisis in six charts Figures show there were 1,187 drug deaths in Scotand in 2018 and the numbers for last year could be even higher. Glasgow had the highest number of drug deaths, at 280, although the rate of death was slightly higher in Dundee. Ms Aitken told delegates that the drug problem was most acute in Glasgow but the city could lead the way in finding solutions. She said there was international evidence that safe… Read full this story
- West Australian Police eye GHB as possible link between three drug deaths
- RBS boss Alison Rose vows to take 'bold action' on climate crisis
- IMF urges G20 to take 'bold action' on global economy
- 'The clock is ticking': Less talk, more action needed in the race against climate change
- Gladys Berejiklian must listen to Adriana Buccianti after Defqon.1 deaths
- Football and food banks: How UK soccer fans are helping tackle society's 'gaping wound'
- Common diabetes drug metformin is being investigated in the US and Europe over fears it may contain a cancer-causing chemical
- REVEALED: The wretched house of horrors where six-year-old Zymere Perkins was tortured to death in the squalid bath by his mother's boyfriend surrounded by filth
- Police say they lack resources to tackle county lines drugs networks
- Deaths of UK homeless people more than double in five years
'Bold' action needed to tackle drugs deaths have 331 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at February 26, 2020. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.