The coronavirus causing a deadly outbreak in China has been named COVID-19, the World Health Organization has announced. Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of the global body, announced the new name at a conference in Geneva this afternoon. It comes almost six weeks after the virus was first identified in the city of Wuhan, China, in late December. Since then it has infected more than 43,000 people and killed 1,018. The virus, which has had various names from simply coronavirus to Wuhan coronavirus, Chinese coronavirus or even snake flu, needs its own moniker because it is just one type of coronavirus. The word refers to a group of viruses which contains those that cause SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome). Coronaviruses are so named because their structure has jagged edges which look like a royal crown – corona is crown in Latin (Pictured, an illustration of the COVID-19 virus released by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of the World Health Organization, announced the name of the virus at a conference in Geneva today Dr Ghebreyesus told the conference in Geneva: ‘C-o stands for corona, v-i… Read full this story
- Russia closes its eastern border as killer coronavirus spreads to EVERY region of China: Death toll jumps to 170 and almost 8,300 people have caught the deadly SARS-like infection worldwide
- Swarms of Wuhan residents hit the road days before Chinese New Year amid fears that deadly 'SARS-like' virus could spread globally as Beijing's experts urge the city's residents not to travel
- Scientists develop a vaccine for the Chinese coronavirus but warn it will take a YEAR before it could be dished out - as world health chiefs warn human-to-human spread outside of China is of 'great concern'
- Crack team of doctors prepare to greet travellers from Chinese infection zone as chief medics says deadly SARS-like coronavirus 'is likely' to come to Australia
- Leading Chinese doctor investigating killer coronavirus outbreak admits he has caught the SARS-like infection as furious families accuse hospitals of not testing patients with tell-tale symptoms
- China's contagious killer virus comes to the US: American man in his 30s is hospitalized in Washington state with SARS-like coronavirus after visiting Wuhan, CDC says
- Coronavirus patients in Wuhan spit at doctors to spread disease
- Chinese doctor warned on Jan 1 about ‘SARS-like virus’ in Wuhan
- World Health Organization declares China's coronavirus is a HIGH risk to other countries and admits it rated it 'moderate' by MISTAKE last week - as death toll rises to 82
- Has coronavirus reached AFRICA? Sudan and Equatorial Guinea quarantine six patients with symptoms of the killer SARS-like infection
Coronavirus FINALLY has a name: World health chiefs label the deadly SARS-like disease 'COVID-19' - six weeks after the outbreak that has killed more than 1,000 people began have 432 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at February 11, 2020. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.