If asked to name the first thing to pop into your head when someone says “circus,” I expect a lot of people would instantly shout out “The Greatest Showman,” and for good reason. Leave your desire for historical accuracy on the bog-like field surrounding the cone-topped tent of wonder, and it’s almost impossible not to be taken in; enraptured by the musical’s lavish production, emotionally manipulative story, and catchy song and dance numbers. Even as a man who has shaped an entire career around being po-faced, certain scenes tug the heartstrings so well they could be used as a real-life Voight-Kampff test. But no. My mind doesn’t immediately leap, like a buoyant fawn, to The Greatest Showman. All I can think about is danger.I see danger everywhere. I’m the parent in the playground who grabs a child mid-swing to avoid another being catapulted into the climbing frame; I’m the person left alone at a pedestrian crossing as I stubbornly wait for the green man; I genuinely believe lettuce is a dangerous thing to eat. Growing up in and around circuses did not play nicely with this mostly useless and less-than-brilliantly calibrated superpower. I can’t really explain how little I enjoyed… Read full this story
- It’s now illegal to use elephants in traveling circuses in New Jersey
- With Crowdfunding, Game Inventors Advance to Go
- From Passion To Profit: How To Make Money Doing What You Love
- Paul F. Tompkins On Making A Topical Comedy Show In An Election Year
- Earth shattering news: the Olympics will make London busy
- Will TfL let our London landmarks be renamed in a bid to make money?
- Election Dissection: the political circus this week
- Video Gaming Levels Up into a Sport
- James Harden hits stunning game-winning 3-pointer to erase 17-point deficit against the Warriors
- 2019 was supposed to be easy for Tesla, but now it's a circus
Someone should make a game about: Circuses have 323 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at February 12, 2020. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.