Sir Keir Starmer has called for schools to reopen as soon as possible and pleaded with unions, parents and government officials to work together. The new leader of the Labour party also revealed his children have attended school throughout the coronavirus pandemic. ⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates Prime Minister Boris Johnson is currently facing a battle against more than 50 councils and teachers’ unions to reopen primary schools in England on June 1. British teaching unions have urged the Government to reconsider its plans to reopen schools for younger pupils in less than ten days. In an interview with The Telegraph, Sir Keir said his 11-year-old son and nine-year-old daughter have continued to go to their local state schools in north London during the crisis as his wife Victoria is a key worker in the NHS. However, Sir Keir acknowledged: “It’s got to be safe.”Our children have been in school throughout [the lockdown] and it’s a reminder that this perception that schools are shut at the moment, and the question of whether we open them, is wrong. “They’re open at the moment, teachers, staff are on the frontline, every day. “The question is,… Read full this story
- Coronavirus: Labour's Keir Starmer calls for public to be shown lockdown exit strategy
- At last we have an Opposition: New Labour leader Keir Starmer tears into Dominic Raab over coronavirus testing and PPE failures in first virtual PMQs - as Foreign Secretary blames 'logistical' issues
- New Labour boss Keir Starmer accuses Dominic Raab of being ‘too slow’ on lockdown, PPE and testing in his first PMQs
- HENRY DEEDES: In cyber Commons, Jeremy Corbyn is back where he belongs... and new boy Keir Starmer plays a blinder
- Keir Starmer tells Tories 'stop treating coronavirus lockdown Brits like children'
- Sir Keir Starmer urges government to publish their lockdown exit strategy this week to retain public's trust
- Coronavirus: Government must publish lockdown exit strategy says Keir Starmer
- Coronavirus exit strategy 'in limbo' while Boris Johnson off sick, says Keir Starmer
- Do NOT book your summer holidays! Ministers warn public not to make any getaway plans and admit UK won't get to see a coronavirus 'exit plan' for at least TWO WEEKS despite economic meltdown fears - as Keir Starmer blames drift on PM's sick leave
- 'We should treat the public like grown ups': Nicola Sturgeon swipes at government secrecy as ministers admit coronavirus 'exit plan' won't be unveiled for TWO WEEKS - with Keir Starmer blaming PM's sick leave for lack of decisions
Labour leader Keir Starmer calls for schools to open and reveals his kids have attended class throughout pandemic have 416 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at May 23, 2020. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.