As the coronavirus lockdown continues, the Guardian’s music desk thought you might be in need of a distraction – something to send you down memory lane, or to divert the annoyance at your housemates or children on to us. We present to you a ranking of the 100 greatest UK No 1 singles since the charts began in 1952. The rules We’ll be counting this down over six weeks – for the first two weeks, we’ll spend Monday to Thursday counting down 10 at a time. That takes us up to the Top 20, and from Monday to Friday for four weeks we’ll have standalone celebrations of each remaining song by our team of critics. This list, and the songs’ order, was compiled via a politely raging video call between me, chief rock and pop critic Alexis Petridis and deputy music editor Laura Snapes. The ranking isn’t based on sales or longevity, it’s the fruit of that discussion: what we as critics, fans and lifetime listeners think are the most brilliant songs to top the UK charts, and, of those, which are more brilliant than others. The only rule was that an artist could only feature once. As such, it… Read full this story
- Two migrants who tried to reach Britain hidden in a car roof box wound up 100 miles further away in France
- UK coronavirus hospital death toll rises by 16 in lowest Friday increase since lockdown
- UK PM Boris Johnson on Anti-Vaxxers: "They Are Nuts"
- Coronavirus: UK quarantine restrictions unjust - Spain PM
- UK's largest vehicle charging network gives away energy to power 1.3million homes
- UK MPs Mull Jail Sentences of Up to Ten Years for Defacing Monuments as Protests Turn Violent
- Coronavirus: UK advises against non-essential travel to Spanish islands
- Coronavirus: UK quarantine plans and £1,000 penalties confirmed
- Top 100 world universities by reputation - the list in full
- UK weather: HM Coastguard warns beach-goers after busiest day in four years
The 100 greatest UK No 1s: 100-1 have 312 words, post on www.theguardian.com at June 5, 2020. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.