Congestion at British ports largely caused by Covid chaos in China means many Christmas toys, gifts and stocking fillers are now unlikely to make it on time with businesses hemorrhaging £1million or more because shipments have been delayed and quadrupled in price. The British Toy and Hobby Association (BTHA), the British Retail Consortium (BRC) and the Food and Drink Federation (FDF) are all calling for the Government to intervene at Felixstowe and Southampton and ‘save the festive season’ by getting more cargo into the UK. The industry bodies want an inquiry into the problems and are calling on Boris Johnson to clear containers of PPE clogging up the docks and bring back more staff off furlough to ease congestion. They also want other ports such as Liverpool, Hull, Portsmouth, Tilbury and London Gateway to pick up more of the slack. Retailers have said that toys, games, puzzles and dolls ordered from China in August and September have still not arrived after delays in Asia and problems unloading in Britain leading to many containers being dumped in Zeebrugge, Belgium. To make matters worse a container of goods from Qingdao, China to Felixstowe, Suffolk is now at $10,000 (£7,500) per load – four… Read full this story
- The Top 10 Most Wanted Toys For Christmas 2008
- 99 Top Tips For Saving Money
- E-Shopping on EBay For Holiday
- On Foot Or Online - Stressing Or Chilling - You Decide - How to Avoid Seasonal Shopping Strain
- Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the Seas
- Your Wealth is Hidden in the Fragments of Your Life - LEX Cash
- Welcome to Tanzania!
- The Essential Guide to Inkjet Cartridges
- Tuesday's Best Deals: Nintendo 2DS XL, Under Armour, Drill Brush, and More
- Project Shakti - A Win Win Situation
Toy stores urge government to 'save Christmas' and ease chaos at UK ports as they reveal thousands of gifts including dolls, Lego and puzzles won't arrive by December 25 and say delays have cost them millions have 277 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at December 17, 2020. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.