Queues at Dover reached 20 miles today with long traffic jams in Calais through the night as thousands of lorries – many full of Christmas gifts and food – tried to cross the Channel amid chaos at Britain’s container ports. Extraordinary photographs taken from above the M20 in Kent showed how vehicles were bumper-to-bumper amid claims businesses are stockpiling in case of a No Deal Brexit at the end of the month. And across the water in France, in Calais trucks lined dual carriageways for miles as they tried to get a ferry to Dover or the Channel Tunnel to Folkestone ahead of the busiest shopping week of the year. Retailers say items they ordered in August for Christmas have still not arrived in Britain because of shipping chaos caused by Covid-19 in China and problems unloading in the UK seeing containers dumped in Zeebrugge, Belgium. UK firms are haemorrhaging £1million or more because shipments have been delayed and quadrupled in price with the cost of moving a container from Qingdao, China, to the UK now at £7,500 per load – up from £2,000. Lorries queue for The Port of Dover along the A20 in Kent as the Dover TAP (Traffic… Read full this story
- Hurricane Dorian churns up the East Coast bringing the worst flooding in 30 YEARS and 100MPH winds as it takes aim at the Carolinas leaving at least one dead and tens of thousands without power
- 'The devastation is unlike anything we’ve ever seen': Rescuers reveal magnitude of Dorian's destruction as they search flooded homes for victims of the Bahamas' worst ever hurricane that left seven dead
- Why Ulster need to send out SOS before it's too late
- These Horses are Frequent Fliers, Just Keep the Hay Coming
- How New Zealand made Edmund Hillary, the man who conquered Everest
- Racing the past in Jonesport, Maine
- Run And Gun
- The Wrap: Will reversion to 15 teams be enough to revive Super Rugby?
- Peter Sagan finds heaven in hell as world champion beats Silvan Dillier in two-up sprint to win Paris-Roubaix
- Here’s a runner’s perspective on the Boston Marathon
Truck tailbacks stretch 20 MILES at Dover: Thousands of lorries queue for ferries as ports in UK and Calais are paralysed by shipping container crisis have 339 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at December 18, 2020. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.