Wall Street’s main indexes rose on Monday as travel stocks surged on the launch of a nationwide Covid-19 vaccine campaign, while Alexion Pharmaceuticals jumped on a $39 billion buyout offer from AstraZeneca in one of the year’s biggest deals.Shipments of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine fanned out to distribution points across the United States on Sunday, with injections set to begin on Monday.The inoculations are seen as pivotal toward ultimately halting the Covid-19 pandemic, which has claimed more than a million lives around the world and brought economic activity to a halt.“There is no question the market is very optimistic about the vaccines finally being delivered,” said Thomas Hayes, managing member at Great Hill Capital Llc in New York.Cruise operators Carnival Corp and Royal Caribbean Cruises rose 4.1% and 0.5%, respectively, while stocks of major airline operators added between 0.7% and 3.1%, with American Airlines Group leading gains.Travel and leisure stocks are the worst hit by restrictions on movement due to the virus outbreak, and have reacted positively to any vaccine-related news.Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc was among the top boosts to the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq, surging 29.9% to a 4-1/2 year high after British drugmaker AstraZeneca said it would buy the… Read full this story
- JPMorgan Brings Amazon’s Alexa to Wall Street Trading Floors
- ‘Bureaucracy makes you feel like a lowly beggar’: surviving on the streets of Berlin
- Corporate America's undertakers prepare for feast after lean years
- READERS' LETTERS: Time to take action on our national debt
- Record highs on the stock market, but will it last?
- Vegas king Steve Wynn accused of 'pattern of sexual misconduct' in WSJ report
- Strong iPhone prices, cash plans buoy Apple shares after muted outlook
- Beyond Bitcoin: Trading cryptocurrency today
- Elon Musk Might Control Tesla
- Trump's State of the Union theme: 'A safe, strong and proud America'
Wall Street cheered by vaccine roll-out, mega M&A activity have 299 words, post on m.hindustantimes.com at December 14, 2020. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.