Unknown miscreants have vandalised, broken and ripped from the base a statue of Mahatma Gandhi in a park in the US state of California, evoking a strong response from India which sought a thorough investigation and appropriate action against those responsible for the “despicable act.” Kindly note that this image has been posted for representational purposes only. Photograph: Carl Court/Getty Images The 6-ft tall, 650-pound (294 kg) bronze statue of Gandhi, in the Central Park of the City of Davis in Northern California, appeared to have been sawed off at the ankles and half its face was severed and missing, local Davis Enterprise daily reported. The vandalised statue of Mahatma Gandhi was found by a park employee in the early hours of morning of January 27, the police said. The statue is being removed and will be stored in a safe place until it can be evaluated, said Davis City councilman Lucas Frerichs. Investigators are still unsure of when exactly the statue was torn down or what the motive may have been, The Sacramento Bee reported.“Seeing as it’s a cultural icon to a portion of the people in Davis, we are taking it very seriously,” deputy chief Paul Doroshov of… Read full this story
- Furore after man posts currency note on Facebook with Godse’s image over Gandhi’s
- Trump's use of malaria drug likely to be welcomed in India
- Congress Launches Speak Up India Campaign against Modi Govt for Alleged Exploitation of Vulnerables
- A road map to strengthen India’s rural economy | Analysis
- India is a moral giant; no one can damage its image
- Rural India to spur demand due to migration
- Sonia Gandhi to chair opposition meet over migrants’ plight on Friday
- Consider basic demands for survival: TAAI to government
- Trump’s use of malaria drug likely to be welcomed in India
- Big bang reforms paint vision of a prosperous India, but how will we reach there?
Mahatma Gandhi statue vandalised in US; India demands action have 311 words, post on www.rediff.com at January 30, 2021. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.