North Korea’s ruling Korean Workers’ Party has convened its 8th Party Congress , a rare gathering in which all eyes will be on Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un to see the path on which he intends to steer the nation forward. The last five years were marked by both unprecedented victories and setbacks, the latter of which appear to be dominating the current conversation in Pyongyang. “2020 was a tough year on North Korea,” Jeongmin Kim, Seoul Correspondent at NK News, told Newsweek . “COVID-19 and border closure, trade crashes, multiple floods and typhoons that destroyed the farmlands, failed five-year economic strategy and ongoing sanctions.” As Kim Jong Un oversees his second such meeting at the onset of the 10th year of his rule, experts say that the third-generation heir to the family dynasty leading the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea is setting the stage for a new strategy. This plan is likely designed to alleviate internal pressures while simultaneously attempting to navigate a fragile and frozen peace process with rival South Korea , officially the Republic of Korea, and its ally, the United States. But all analysts agreed that Kim Jong Un’s first priorities were at home as he… Read full this story
- North Korea confirms 1st COVID outbreak, Kim orders lockdown
- North Korea reports first COVID death after country implements lockdown
- North Korea reports first Covid cases, Kim orders national lockdown
- North Korea will strengthen nuclear arsenal, Kim says at military parade
- North Korea declares first COVID-19 outbreak after more than two years of pandemic
- North Korea vows to develop its nuclear arsenal 'at the maximum speed’
- North Korea Finally Admits to Coronavirus Cases, Locks Down 'the Whole Country'
- North Korea reports FIRST Covid death amid ‘explosive outbreak’
- Kim Jong-un Tells North Korea to Be 'Fully Prepared' for Nuclear War at Massive Military Parade
- North Korea’s Kim Jong-un isn’t a K-pop fan anymore
North Korea's Party Congress is Moment of Truth for Kim and Country have 309 words, post on www.newsweek.com at January 6, 2021. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.