I recently moved into a new home. But before I can get settled, I have to install a tech monopoly. Is it an Alexa, Google Assistant or Siri home? Like a growing number of American homes, mine will be a smart home. Maybe you don’t think of yours as “smart” just yet, but this year alone, America will get 100 million more connected home gadgets like talking speakers, video doorbells, learning thermostats, robot vacuums and programmable lights. The “Jetsons” life has never been closer. Except I don’t recall the part in the TV show where the Jetsons had to pick one vertically integrated megacorporation to run their home, mine data about their lives, decide where they go shopping and extract ongoing fees. I’ve been writing a lot recently about the price you face as a consumer and a citizen for being trapped in a Big Tech economy. Here’s one it’s not too late to stop: Letting tech giants make your smart home more dumb. Their monopolistic mind-set makes your home more complicated, leaves you less choice and less privacy, and already resulted in less-capable smart speakers. Silicon Valley is invading your home because it wants to replicate the control it… Read full this story
- Audi Q8: the tech secrets of Audi's new SUV flagship
- Josh Hawley Bill Would ‘Stop Big Tech’s Assault on Free Speech’
- Bentley's W12 engine tech secrets revealed
- 2013 Cadillac SRX looks the same, hides its high-tech secrets
- Why Volkswagen's secret plan to buy Fiat-Chrysler failed
- DetN Reveals Ford’s Not-So-Secret Secret Plan For Survival
- Big Match Is Planned For Kurt Angle Upon His Return?
- Amazon Just Bought Itself Another Way Into Your Home
- Ghislaine Maxwell 'attended a secret writers' retreat hosted by Jeff Bezos in 2018 with her tech CEO boyfriend Scott Borgerson'
- Duke has a chance to boost its football program’s image. Virginia Tech stands in the way.
Big Tech's not-so-secret plan to monopolize your home have 311 words, post on www.chron.com at September 29, 2021. This is cached page on GameMax. If you want remove this page, please contact us.